Edgewood Tahoe, home to The American Century Championship since 1990, is now a destination golf course with the June opening of the new $100 million Lodge at Edgewood, Tahoe. The 169,000-square foot lodging at South Lake Tahoe has 154 rooms, and the project added 200 new full-time jobs to the area.
The historic lodges of the great American West were crafted with one goal in mind: to allow kindred spirits to explore the most magical of settings. From national parks to natural wonders, these lodges began to pepper the most sought-after sites in the West, making the unattainable suddenly attainable. Mountain air became breathable. Alpine lakes, touchable. Soaring peaks, surmountable.
The Lodge at Edgewood Tahoe recaptures the spirit of these storied retreats and the adventures they inspired, allowing locals, newcomers and regulars alike to see the lake that’s been revered for centuries in an entirely new way. Where casual comforts exist amongst classic refinement. Where untamed adventure resides amongst unparalleled accommodations.
Lodge at Edgewood Tahoe
The Lodge at Edgewood Tahoe, is the newest addition to the 235-acre lakefront property. The LEED-designed Lodge boasts 154 luxury guest rooms, 8,500 sq. ft. spa and salon, 200-seat bistro restaurant, 3,000 sq. ft. ballroom, adventure center, kids camp, premium shopping, and much more. The development also includes significant and unprecedented water quality improvements to the 4,200-acre Edgewood Creek watershed that feeds directly into Lake Tahoe. The Lodge is a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts Lifestyle Collection.
The Lodge at Edgewood Tahoe, a $100 million plus project is seminal for South Shore and a centerpiece of the area’s renaissance with architecture reminiscent of the great national park lodges. It highlights the best Tahoe offers: access to Lake/mountains, nearby casinos, skiing, dining, entertainment.
• LEED designed; model of sustainability; air conditioning is from lake water pumped through intricate cooling system; less runoff via new pond infiltration; energy-efficiencies; as guests’ headquarters, less driving
• Project included significant water quality benefits for the 4,200-acre Edgewood Creek watershed plus enriched wetlands, provided new fish and wildlife habitat and upgraded storm water systems for urban areas upstream
• Builds onto area’s $750 million investment of past few years
• $100 million+ project has resulted in 240 new fulltime jobs; will attract visitors with disposable income
Interesting Design Facts
• Wood panel art in lobby was created with an old picket fence from the Edgewood site. The fence surrounded a Julia Morgan designed small cabin on the property that no longer exists.
• The grand staircase of the great room was fabricated from local wood logs, and the carved limestone wall was created on site by a Bay Area stone carver. The wood paneling of the great halls ceiling and other walls is walnut.
• The patterns and colors on the deer head art in the grand hall, were designed by the lodge’s interior design team to represent the Native America history of Lake Tahoe.
• The rope ceiling in the Bistro restaurant ties in the resort’s overall color theme of Tahoe blues, browns, and natural tones. The rope was fabricated in Spain, and then shipped to Australia where a rope artist fabricated the rope panels. The glass lights are a custom designed fixture to complete the subtle nautical theme in the Bistro space.
• Guest rooms custom consoles, fabricated by Fairmont Designs, have a historical photo of Lake Tahoe and Mount Tallac in the image. The mountain and its signature snow cross are visible from the Edgewood Tahoe beach.
About Edgewood Tahoe
Edgewood Tahoe offers a distinctive and exceptional golf, dining, lodging, recreation, and special event experience on the southern shore of Lake Tahoe. Award-winning Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course, designed by George Fazio in 1968 and later renovated by Tom Fazio, offers the premier setting of a championship caliber golf experience with breathtaking views of the High Sierra. Edgewood has also been the home to the American Century Championship since 1990. Edgewood Restaurant delivers fine dining fare with an unimpeded view across Lake Tahoe for every patron. Brooks’ Bar & Deck has taken its place as one of South Lake Tahoe’s best restaurants that everyone can enjoy, and was recently selected by Golf Digest as one of the “Best Golf Pubs” in the world. Edgewood’s clubhouse and lodge offers the premier setting for special events and weddings.
100 Lake Parkway, Stateline, NV 89449 • www.edgewoodtahoe.com
Story by David R. Holland